3.23.2011

Managing the Tech Startups Series - No.3 Iñaki Arrola p. I

I was just doing some research to learn more about Iñaki Arrola our guest speaker in the "series" (by the way I think it's becoming a very cool project this thing of "Managing the Tech Startups"). And while reading some of his own posts in his personal blog I came across with his latest.

First of all I'll ask him today if I can make a translation of it because it's really worthy, and I think people will enjoy reading it. (Iñaki can we translate that post for the English readers?) And secondly, it got me thinking.  That's why this post will be in two parts (including a conclusion from today's discussion).

I'm seeing my classmates of foodiesquare.com (see, now I remember to write it correctly) and the rest of entrepreneurs or "I want to become"-entrepreneurs at IE, also I remembered the time I opened the family coffee shop in Mexico, and when I tried unsuccessfully to launch a technology based luxury membership program. But all the MBA students as well, including me, that are less than two months away of returning to the work force that moves the world (or at least we are betting on it) and that with all this new knowledge, experiences, friends, contacts and hunger (to grab the world and own it) are trying to decide a path. We should be very wary to balance work and life. And that's what Iñaki stresses in a very compelling way. So, IE fellows I know we all (warning, wrong generalization coming) want six figures salaries in exciting companies with fancy titles positions but pause and think the cost to our personal and family life, before making a rushed decision.

Maybe Guerson, Sammy, Daniel, Jacobo and Martin can share what they are experiencing now (or fairly recently) in terms of work-life balance.

More to follow...

No comments: